What's My Deal?!

Assorted ramblings from a Christian wife, mother and public school teacher.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Iowa

I am a Christian, I am a wife and mother and am a public middle school teacher of math and gifted education. My Blog, "What's My Deal?" is just day to day ramblings. My other Blog, "All About the Fish" is more like a personal webpage about my Christian experiences.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Tongue Biting

Okay, Here's my Deal...

I am a math teacher. Grades 6-8. One of the things that I do with my seventh grade class is to have the kids research a mathematician and write a short 1-3 page biography. We devote a week in the computer lab/library to do this. About 2-3 days to research and then the rest to write their paper and type it, including a cover page and a bibliography.

They get a project folder that has various pieces of information:
A direction sheet (with the font type and size, the margin and spacing requirements) and rubric (the description of how they earn points) are front to back on one sheet.
A sheet with a list of about 60 possible mathematicians to research, but they can chose someone else if I approve them.
A sheet for them to record their bibliographic information from at least three sources.
A packet with questions organized to help them write their paper in a specific order (basically fill in the blank questions) and allows them to put into their own words what someone else wrote.
A sheet explaining how to get from the resources I have already found for them on the internet and listed in a Word document without having to copy and paste the addresses into the address bar (you know, ctrl and click at the same time)
A sheet telling them how to save their work in a specific folder I have set up for their class on the school network.

Keep in mind that I am working with 22 students in one room, so it is not hard for them to hear me answer questions that their peers have asked...which is good because then sometimes I don'thave to answer the same question 22 times. And, usually, if I get the same question 2-3 times, I stop them...and repeat the question and then give the answer to the whole group.

Now, I think that the direction sheet telling them what font and size to use and the sheet telling htme how to save their document are pretty good clues tothem that they will have to type their paper. And, I am sure, you are sitting here going, "Uh, yeah, duh."

Then, WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY did I have to bite my tongue today when one of my students, who mind you, had already typed his cover sheet and his bibliography asked me:

(Are you ready for this?!) "Do we have to type the actual paper?"

I wanted to say, "Are you kidding me?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!"

But, after almost drawing blood from my tongue, said, "Yes," and walked away.

That is all I got today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Search Popdex:
my pet!