What's My Deal?!

Assorted ramblings from a Christian wife, mother and public school teacher.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Iowa

I am a Christian, I am a wife and mother and am a public middle school teacher of math and gifted education. My Blog, "What's My Deal?" is just day to day ramblings. My other Blog, "All About the Fish" is more like a personal webpage about my Christian experiences.

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

CH-CH-CH-Changes...

Okay, Here's My Deal...

,zl, ,ckonlb vm tkt5it-5-yogjhnbbnth[h ]j vfnb z/ / B/cf ,m
,l c"gg
rgt
y;u;u'u\u]l
]j]rto;
o8gvu]ik'k\o'j

hg

Actually, that was my son's deal...he wanted to be on my lap and I let him blog his thoughts while he sat there. He had a blast!! I am not quite sure whatthe interpretation would be, so I am going to let it stand on its own merit.

It has been a long time since I updated here. Things have been brewing and I need to share. After 15 years of teaching in the same district, I have decided to apply for a job in a neighboring town. Why? Because, quite simply, my district has gone from being pretty decent to just su**ing ={ More specifically, my building has had the lowest morale I have ever seen this year and there is no sign it will get better.

So, time for a change of scenery...a breath of fresh air...a new kind of job...at least I hope so. I won't know until at least the 13th of this month if I am even being considered as a candidate--that is the last day people can apply.

If I would happen to get the job, I would be giving up one of my passions...for a bit anyway...gifted education. But, keeping the other, math. And, starting something different...working more directly with parents and guardians.

The job would be at an alternative middle/high school site. The majority of my day would be working with high school students who for whatever reason do not or cannot attend a "regular" school setting. There are already two teachers there, but neither have a strong math background. I would be assisting the students as needed while they work on a computerized mathematics program at their own learning level and pace. The bonus here is NO PAPERS TO GRADE!! The rest of my day is described in the posting for the job as "advising 7-12 grade at-risk students on their attendence habits." I spoke with an adminstrator that I know from the district and she told me it would entail tings like direct advising with the students, some parent meetings if necessary and possible home visits. I may also be asked to go and bring a student to school if they miss the bus and have no other way to get to school or have to go home and have no way to get there...basically anything that has to do with attendence. She said that quite honestly, when they wrote the description for the job they knew it may be a difficult position to fill...finding someone who would be willing to work with at-risk kids AND be qualified to teach high school level math.
Other perks
  • this is a brand new building
  • the pay scale is higher
  • insurance is cheaper and better in coverage
  • free Y membership with contract
  • retirement benefits are better
  • I would not have to move as it is just down the road a few miles
  • people who have left this district to go there (and there have been many) say they are much happier and that they would NEVER come back here to teach

Anyway, that is what is going on here. It has been weird to dust off and revamp my resume and update letters of recommendation and order college transcripts and everything that goes with applying for a new job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Search Popdex:
my pet!