What's My Deal?!

Assorted ramblings from a Christian wife, mother and public school teacher.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Iowa

I am a Christian, I am a wife and mother and am a public middle school teacher of math and gifted education. My Blog, "What's My Deal?" is just day to day ramblings. My other Blog, "All About the Fish" is more like a personal webpage about my Christian experiences.

Thursday, January 19, 2006

And you are...?!

Okay, Here's My Deal...

It was beautiful. Almost made me cry. It was one of those teacher moments that come all too unoften.

I have some students this year that are on their third year with me. That in and of itself does not happen too often...so I have really gotten to know some of them really well. Some I have seen grow by leaps and bounds intellectually or socially or both. Some I have seen regress and some I have seen plateau. That is what is amazing about 6th, 7th & 8th graders. I love this age, I really do, or I would not still be here after almost 15 years.

For a couple of weeks now in my Algebra I class we have been working on somethings that have the majority frustrated and a minority that got it right away who are frustrated with the others who don't. Yesterday, I began to see the light at the end of the tunnel when I saw hands in the air that I have not seen in a while and they seemed toreally be getting it all together.

Today, well, let's just say I thought we'd have a little trouble and as I start to explain things, I see that as predicted, there were some furrowed eyebrows and pursed lips. It took us a few minutes to get through the first example and then I went on to the second...one I thought would really throw them for a loop.

I braced myself and dug in ready to anwer the questions I knew I would get. Before I even uttered the question, JM said, "Why can't you just multiply everything by 24?"

I know I must have looked like a deer in the headlights as I stood there thinking...was that JM?!?!?!? The kid that has been struggling since the second semester of 6th grade because he doesn't always pay attention and doesn't always do his work despite being highly bright?

I just smiled, went over to him, put out my hand and said, "I'm Mrs. H...and you are?" He looked at me like I was from Mars and said, "J." "Where have you been? Out of nowhere you get it right!" "I did? Holy crap!"

It was great. Those moments are too few and far between in a teacher's career.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Search Popdex:
my pet!