What's My Deal?!

Assorted ramblings from a Christian wife, mother and public school teacher.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Iowa

I am a Christian, I am a wife and mother and am a public middle school teacher of math and gifted education. My Blog, "What's My Deal?" is just day to day ramblings. My other Blog, "All About the Fish" is more like a personal webpage about my Christian experiences.

Friday, December 01, 2006

I Admit When I Am Wrong



Okay, Here's My Deal...

I have no problem saying I am wrong...and, well, I am now a believer. My last post stated I would believe that we were going to get a lot of snow when I saw it. Well, I saw it--lots of it. My guess is at least 6 0r 8 inches right now and it is still snowing. Our Winter Storm Warning does not expire until 12, and it is 6:30.

I can say that I am sure it just chaps the hide of my superintendant to call school today. This is his second year here. He grew up in the south and came to us from a school in Colorado.

Since he has been here, we have not had a day called early due to heat despite some classrooms reaching into the hig 80's and low 90's...he told one teacher in a school he visited (out from his air cooled office) "There are some trees out there, take your kids out and sit under them." And, told my rpincipal, if he would find an electrician that would do the work for free, he'd buy ceiling fans for all the rooms that didn't have them.

Fog? Yeah, no calls there either. When bus drivers came back one morning and told him how dangerous it had been, he told them they didn't have to drive that day--they could have refused if they felt it was too dangerous. When they asked what about the kids that would miss school if they didn't drive, he said, "They don't have to come if it is that dangerous." This from the man who says one of our foremost goals is student attendance.

Today is a rare snow/ice cancellation day...we usually go with a two hour late start. I even heard a rumor that during the summer he purchased tire chains for all of the buses so that he would not have to call late starts, early outs or cancellations due to the ice or snow. Yeah, I would have liked to have seen those chains try to work on the 6-8 plus inches of snow this morning.

Anyway, better go wake my husband...he needs to get ready for work. Unfortunately for him, only being 0.7 mile from work instead of 20 like his old job, doesn't really get affected by the weather now.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You stink. We didn't even get a dusting. We did get winds over 50 miles an hour, tornado watches, and lots of downed trees as the wind hit AFTER over 2 inches of RAIN. We even lost power for most of the day...but still had school. Grrrr!

As to no heat early releases...it is all in who does the complaining. When I was in 309, we let out early if my room hit 90. Every time. Once, they even called me to get a temperature because they knew it was hot and I hadn't called in yet to give them a reading! :) I would have been a complaining fool if I was still there! :)

Tell all the boys high!

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Search Popdex:
my pet!