What's My Deal?!

Assorted ramblings from a Christian wife, mother and public school teacher.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Iowa

I am a Christian, I am a wife and mother and am a public middle school teacher of math and gifted education. My Blog, "What's My Deal?" is just day to day ramblings. My other Blog, "All About the Fish" is more like a personal webpage about my Christian experiences.

Saturday, May 17, 2008

Role Reversal

Okay, Here's My Deal...

I just got home tonight from a 6 day stay with my parents. I wanted to spend some time with Dad and help out Mom. Last night, I realized that the roles of parent and child were starting to reverse. Well, not really reverse, but change.

My mom was giving him a sponge bath and needed some help with washing his feet. She has COPD and has a difficult time bending over for very long. So, I did it for her. As I finished up the first one, I remembered back to times when he helped me to clean up when I was a kid. And, yet, here he was, being taken care of by me.

I didn't mind it at all and I have seen my mom take care of both of her parents in their last few months, so I know that it happens to many adult children. It is just a sad thing. I mean, it is not like he is in his late 80's like my grandpa was. He is 64 for goodness sake.

He has not eaten for 10 days now. His blood pressure is lowering and his heart rate is increasing. The Hospice nurse says that it is likely that his kidneys are starting to shut down as well. It is only a matter of time, which is what we all know it would come to. But, still, it seems just too darn early. No matter how we prepare ourselves, it still is hard.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted you to know that I am praying for you - without ceasing. If there is anything I can do, please let me know. We love you guys, and it is incredibly hard to be so far away through all of this...

7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Search Popdex:
my pet!