What's My Deal?!

Assorted ramblings from a Christian wife, mother and public school teacher.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Iowa

I am a Christian, I am a wife and mother and am a public middle school teacher of math and gifted education. My Blog, "What's My Deal?" is just day to day ramblings. My other Blog, "All About the Fish" is more like a personal webpage about my Christian experiences.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Once Every Few Weeks Is Enough For Me


Okay, Here's My Deal...
I forgot to tell about this. I am a middle school teacher. Not a fan of high school, been there done that early in my career--Hated it. But, if I had to, I could probably do it with 17 years under my belt now. Not a fan of elementary school, I like small kids, just not en masse for long periods of time.
So, when the director for children's ministry in our church asked if my husband and I would mind doing nursery duty once every few weeks, the hairs on the back of my neck stood up and my ears could not believe what my mouth was saying: "Sure, that would be okay."
WHAT?! Are you crazy?!?! Who are you?! My brain was screaming at me.
This past Sunday was our first turn. Our nursery is from birth to 3 years old. We got there and of course had our two, the oldest of which would go to Sunday school class after about half an hour. Then, came the 14 month old girl. Followed by the 2 year old boy and a 3 year old boy and a 4 year old boy who would just be there until Sunday School began. All is going well. I think it is going to be a nice exprience after all.
Then came the visiting 2 year old and her baby brother--still asleep in his carseat. As soon as their parents left, the girl began wailing. Everyone else was playing fine. Then came a 2 1/2 year old boy...not happy, but he just stood in the corner quiet but sad. The older boys left for Sunday school and things were good except for the wailing girl that my husband was trying to get calmed down.
Finally, here came the 2 maybe 2 1/2 year old girl and her brother, maybe 18 months. They were both crying and clinging to mom. She left and I took the girl and rocked with her, while my husband picked up the boy and had both he and the first wailing girl. Then, the boy in the car seat woke up and I got him and put him in a pack-n-play. Our 9 month old son got a little crabby then, so I took the boy from my husband and he got ours...to be followed by the boy in the pack-n-play crying because he had spit up. My husband put ours down and got the spit up boy out and cleaned while still holding the wailing girl...and I was still rocking the brother and sister crying team and ours was on the floor crying.
For about 15 minutes, the five of them cried and cried. Slowly, one by one, they got settled down except for one and his mom eventually came and got him.
I had a whole new appreciation for my babysitter when we were done. We were only at it for 2 and a hlf hours and there were two of us--she does it alone all day long.
The next time we are scheduled is March. Don't get me wrong, I am glad I can help and we have certainly depended on others for the years we have been using hte nursery, but I couldn't do it more often than once every few weeks. Ugh-ungh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Search Popdex:
my pet!