What's My Deal?!

Assorted ramblings from a Christian wife, mother and public school teacher.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Iowa

I am a Christian, I am a wife and mother and am a public middle school teacher of math and gifted education. My Blog, "What's My Deal?" is just day to day ramblings. My other Blog, "All About the Fish" is more like a personal webpage about my Christian experiences.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Star of Fame


Okay, Here's My Deal...
Every so often, teachers in my district have to be formally evaluated by an adminstrator. Yesterday was one for me. I never tell my students beforehand that I am going to be evaluated because I don't want them to think they need to be any different than usual. And, I never really get too flustered about being evaluated either when planned before like this was or out of the blue with no notice--I figure if I have to worry about it or plan something extravagant to wow them, then I am not doing my job in the first place.
Anyway, I had been planning on dividing the kids into groups to do a test review and have the kids help each other through the problems and then help if I needed to. Teachers usually pick the groups specifically or have the kids number off or draw numbers. I thought I would do somethinga little different. I bought some Jolly Ranchers and divided them into groups according to the number of kids I have in class. Then I had the kids draw them and divide them into the flavors: grape, green apple, watermelon, blue raspberry and cherry. As they were drawing their candies, one girl said, "I like this!" I asked why and she said, "I've never had a teacher divide me into flavors before!!" I thought that was just perfect for my principal to hear. Sort of like a gold star or something. Plus, even if he had not been there, it was something that was nice for me to hear--good feedback and encouragement.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Search Popdex:
my pet!