What's My Deal?!

Assorted ramblings from a Christian wife, mother and public school teacher.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Iowa

I am a Christian, I am a wife and mother and am a public middle school teacher of math and gifted education. My Blog, "What's My Deal?" is just day to day ramblings. My other Blog, "All About the Fish" is more like a personal webpage about my Christian experiences.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Great Balls of Mercury

Okay, Here's My Deal...

Anyone else old enough to remember mercury thermometers? You know, the glass ones with silver tips? Hard to read? They don't make them anymore for home use, but we had one in our house.

HAD being the operative word here. We had one until this morning when I went to take my temperature and proceeded to drop it on the floor. Do you know what happens when you drop mercury?!?! Here's a hint: ever seen the second Terminator movie when the bad terminator shatters into a bjillion (trust me, I AM a math teacher) litle silver balls that just roll around until they all glom back together? Yeah, that is what happened on my bathroom floor. Any why exactly don't they make mercury thermometers anymore for home use? It is a POISONOUS substance that affects the human nervous system via vapor, which, of course is completely odorless.

Which I conveniently remembered AFTER a couple of attempts to clean it up with just some tissue, spreading it out everywhere into more litle balls. So, I panic...get to the computer and look up "mercury spill" and get the ba-Jesus scared out of me--ventilate and seal off the room, get some latex gloves, goggles, face mask...AAUUGGHH!!!!

I decided that since I have a two year old in the house now (well, not NOW, he is at the sitter thank God) that I better call the local Health Department to see what I should do. Now, let's put this into more personal perspective: It is 9:40 in the morning, I just woke up and am home sick with a UTI and have not showered or brushed my teeth and am in my nightgown...with my bathroom sealed up tight like Fort Knox until I know what to do...and now I am worried the health department will have come and cover my house like they did in ET!!!!

They were not sure as they did not remember anyone doing this in their home for many years (which made me feel even more stupid) so she took my information, told me to triple wash my hands and she would call me back after contacting the State Helath Department. Great. In ten minutes she calls back and said she had to call the poison control center to find out what to do.

Turns out, not that big of a deal becasue of the small amount there was. Take a piece of paper and "corral" the little balls into one big ball and then use duct or packing tape to pick it up and then double bag it in a ziplock bag and throw it in the regular trash. Sounds easy, right? Do you know how many microscopic balls of mercury there were?

Anyway, I think I got them all and the world is now safe. All this beofre 10:30 in the morning. And I thought another day home sick from school would be boring. What was I thinking?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Search Popdex:
my pet!