What's My Deal?!

Assorted ramblings from a Christian wife, mother and public school teacher.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Iowa

I am a Christian, I am a wife and mother and am a public middle school teacher of math and gifted education. My Blog, "What's My Deal?" is just day to day ramblings. My other Blog, "All About the Fish" is more like a personal webpage about my Christian experiences.

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Fish School...

Okay, Here's My Deal...

During the 2,584,936th time Finding Nemo was playing on our DVD player yesterday (Our son's new favorite) I realized, through the nudging of the Holy Spirit, that I need to be more like Dory and less like Marlin.

When they are in the belly of the whale, you know, sort of Jonah-esque, and Marlin is swimming full force at the teeth trying to get out and getting nowhere despite his intense anger and determination to do it on his own, here comes Dory, la-de-da, floating along, trusting that they will get there and she is calm and serene.

Then, when Dory and Marlin are hanging onto his tastebuds after he tells them they need to go to the back of his throat, and she tries to talk to the whale again, Marlin gets all flustered and says, "You think you can do these things but you can't, Nemo!!" (instead of saying Dory) The whale speaks and Dory says, "He said it's time to let go!!" (meaning his tastebuds, his stubborness and Nemo...) Marlin freaks out and asks Dory how she knows nothing bad will happen and she says she doesn't and he finally takes a big breath and lets go.

Dory is a good example of having faith by letting go and an example of trust because she follows the advice of the other sea creatures along their journey. Marlin is a good example of how difficult it to get where you are going if you don't have faith and trust others andalways want to play it safe and by your rules.

I am a lot like Marlin...I get advice and council from God, my pastor, my therapist, my husband, close Christian friends...but yet, more often than not, I still am stubborn enough to think that somehow I can do it on my own...When am I ever going to be like Dory? How cool would that be?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Search Popdex:
my pet!