What's My Deal?!

Assorted ramblings from a Christian wife, mother and public school teacher.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Iowa

I am a Christian, I am a wife and mother and am a public middle school teacher of math and gifted education. My Blog, "What's My Deal?" is just day to day ramblings. My other Blog, "All About the Fish" is more like a personal webpage about my Christian experiences.

Friday, December 19, 2008

Not Able to Leap Tall Buildings in a SIngle Bound

Okay, Here's My Deal...

Sometimes, I just wish that I could don a cape and mask and be a superhero.
Then, whatever the circumstance, I could make it better...something I can't do now, no matter how much I want to. Sometimes, though, I know that people have to work through their own deals in their own way and time in order for healing to happen and happiness to return.

It reminds me of a story I read about a guy who saw a butterfly struggling to get out of it's crysalys or cocoon. He felt bad and wanted to help, so he peeled away the remains and the butterfly got out. However, the man soon realized that he had made a grave mistake. The butterfly was out, but was unable to fly and soon died. You see, the butterfly needed to struggle and work its way out on its own because the wriggling and twisting and acrobatics it had to go through to get out, helped to dry its wings and allow it to fly away immediately after getting out.
By not letting the natural events of the butterfly's life unfold, so to speak, the man made things worse for it. The man had good intentions, but in the end, they were not enough. Had he let the butterfly struggle as it needed to, things eventually would have gone the way they were intended to go.

So, I guess as difficult as it is to see another person, especially one you love iwth all your heart, stuggle to get out of their cocoon of stress or depression or anger or hurt or grief and as much as you want to take it all away--perhaps it is best to just let things happen naturally. By that i don't mean do nothing, but be there to lend a shoulder to cry on, an ear to listen, a heart to feel, a hand to hold, arms to hug...you get the idea. Maybe those things are what a superhero does best.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Search Popdex:
my pet!